All Posts Tagged: solar panels
Let’s be realistic: Reducing your home’s negative impact on the planet can require a huge amount of work. The good news is that going green is getting more affordable, giving homeowners the opportunity to make changes in their homes that can make a positive impact on the environment.
1. Install solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity and potentially qualify for a solar tax credit!* There are many advantages to installing solar panels, but the most important thing is that solar energy is a truly renewable energy. (See our HELOC offer related to solar panels and other energy-efficient products.)
2. Paint with low and zero VOC paint to promote healthy indoor air quality. Not only is this paint better for the environment, low and zero VOC paint are comparable in price to most paint that’s comparable in coverage.
3. Consider using bamboo as hardwood flooring. Because it is the fastest growing plant on earth, its quick rate of replenishment means it’s more environmentally friendly than timber trees. It’s becoming an increasingly popular choice for homeowners, architects, and commercial developers because of its eco-friendliness, strength, durability, and cost effectiveness.
4. Have a spider plant in your home. Aside from being one of the easiest indoor plants to maintain, the spider plant produces oxygen while purifying the air in your home and absorbing pollutants like carbon monoxide and formaldehyde.
5. Use organic pesticides on your vegetable garden to reduce the chemical load in the environment. Additionally, you won’t have to worry about traces of chemical pesticides being found in your food and you may even notice that the flavoring in your vegetables and fruits is more robust.
6. Choose wool over polyester. Wool blankets are more eco-friendly to produce.
7. Consider using wood shavings and sawdust as an alternative to cat litter. It’s inexpensive, biodegradable and compostable.
If you make some of these changes at home, Mother Earth – and your pocketbook — may reap some benefits.
*Please consult a tax professional for more information.Read More ›
As a whole, earnings for S&P 500 companies have been remarkably strong this quarter.Read More ›